Friday, July 13, 2007

What professional organizations exist for web professionals?

I recently attended a conference by David C Baker on "Resourcing the Creative Process". One of the items we discussed during the seminar was "what is it about this (creative) industry, that no real standards or professional organizations for people that work in the creative / interactive world" and it got me thinking. My brother in law is a HVAC engineer and his girlfriend an architect. Both of them belong to numerous professional organizations. In many other industries including law, finance, accounting etc there are plenty of organizations professionals can join to increase their level of certification, enforce standards and best practices, provide updates on industry trends, improve overall education and provide them networking opportunities.

So I asked myself the question "What Professional organizations for Web Programmers and Developers?".

I'm started looking both at national and international organizations for Web developers and programmer. None of them really offered all the attributes I was looking for, but here are the ones I managed to find:
There was an interesting one in Australia called "Port 80" but that has morphed into the Australian Web Industry Association. Content Management Professionals comes close, but is a little restrictive as I wanted a organization for professionals in this industry that goes beyond content management. Most of these organizations cater to Designers, Webmasters and System Administrators but not towards the Web Programmer / Developer.

Sure Microsoft has MSDN and MCAD certifications and other organizations offer similar programs. But I was looking for an organization that is platform-agnostic, and devoted to the people that do all the Web 2.0 wizardry these days. The hunt continues....

2 comments:

raster said...

Hmmm, I'm not sure how professional Web414 is, but we're more than happy to have you join us. :)

James Davidson said...

Raster, thanks for the comment. I’ve actually signed up to one of the upcoming Barcamp events (http://barcampmilwaukee.com/faq)in Milwaukee in October 13-14. I'm intrigued to meet other web professionals in this area.