Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Creating a compeling user experience ... the 8 second rule

While talking to a co-worker recently he compared a websites homepage to a shop window. I had never looked at it this way before but when you think of it, he is right. If I walk by a shop and see the same display in the front window every time I walk by, as a consumer I am far less interested in going in and taking a look. The shops that change their window displays frequently and keep me interested and the ones that generally entice me inside to buy something.

It's amazing to me why so many companies’s with bricks and mortar establishments who care know how to sell product in the traditional world, don't apply the same tactics to their website online!

We've all visited websites where it doesn't matter if you return today or 30 days from now nothing changes. I'm not talking about old static websites either, I’m talking about websites that have clearly been redesigned recently and are clearly run on a CMS and have an e-commerce component.

Your website in your online living and breathing marketing tool, so use it like one!

The term "Content is King" has been banded around quite a lot, but it still holds true. Make sure their is plenty of good content on your website, but also make sure it's relevant and targeted to the user. Sure it takes time and money to develop website that enables you to keep content fresh and relevant. But with the ever increasing number of businesses going online today its a competitive market place out there.

If you have the ability to update your website frequently and have the skills to do so then do it! It doesn't matter how much money you've spent on SEO or SEM. Without a compelling user experience, and if you haven't found a way to engage a user after 8 seconds you've lost them you've lost them to the next listing on Google.

I guess the mentality is "it's not my job" could be your downfall. Hmmm a certain viral email image springs to mind (see left).

My point? Don't let your website fall prey to becoming boring and static. Keep the content fresh, relevant and sticky. Give users a reason to return!

No comments: